After running this side blog for over 2 years and gaining 10,000+ followers, I’ve had the opportunity to talk to a lot of people who are interested in the same type of play. Though while the name of the play may stay constant, the reasons certainly don’t!
Some reasons I’ve heard so far:
- consensual non consent humiliation
- stress relief, a way to separate oneself from daily troubles, mental illness, or trauma through acting out a different persona
- to be part of a pup-themed group (pack), for social fulfillment through hierarchal roleplay
- a way to channel primal dominating or submissive tendencies
- dehumanization – a way to enhance the lack of power for the sub in a dom/sub power exchange relationship
- an alternative submissive role that allows for additional playfulness and/or more structured obedience training
- a way to dress up and try on a new identity (almost like a furry, but preferring the materials and sexuality of pup gear)
- a way to interact with a larger kink community
- and more! I can’t possibly list everyone’s personal brand
For me it is a mix of a few. In my own way, pet play can’t happen without a partner (though this is not true for everyone). I just wouldn’t really do it without another person. I use it as an alternative and enhanced submissive role. I enjoy dehumanization, placing myself below my partner and “below human” in a way. I enjoy using my gear to help in that process – being unable to see my own face helps me remain in that mindset, though is not necessary. I am playful and silly and energetic, so the pup version of a submissive role works well with my existing personality. It also helps me de-stress from my worries of every day, as I can hyper-focus on my partner and our session.
I have no interest in a pack, but enjoy an outlet to demonstrate my loyalty and devotion to my fiancé. I enjoy exploring the pet role and finding fun ways to practice it and sharing with a larger kink community. I am more of a fan of degradation than humiliation, but will allow some boundaries to be pushed in the right situations.
My partner is attracted to me doing these things. Being playful and loyal, putting myself below him/at his feet, obeying him, dehumanizing myself, and as he puts it “being totally adorable.” In no way shape or form is he attracted to an animal, just his lovely, independent fiancée debasing herself like one for him. Because he has that control. He has that power over me. Because he’s my Dominant. I wouldn’t do it if not for him.